Forums > Travelogue. > ADifferentAgenda by Moin Khan
khanezz

4315 days old here
Total Posts: 15

Subject : ADifferentAgenda by Moin Khan
This is my profile and i am uploading it on Moin's behalf. i am his elder brother. just want to clear that coz most think that its moin who is uploading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJ4Qcf8YFo&feature=player_embedded

An amazing start to a wonderful day. A Big breakfast was followed by a talk session with the students at NUST university, Islamabad. Left the university at 2pm but wasn't able to leave Islamabad for another 2 hours as there were some problems with the scooter. Changed the spark plugs and drained out some of the mobil oil from the fuel tank because i had put too much. Oh how i love two-stroke machines
At the station i tried to gulp down as much water as possible. The high temperatures mean I need to be constantly hydrating myself. Stopping on the way is especially fun as I get to meet lots of interesting locals and such wonderful people!!

More updates tonight

Pakistan Zindabad!!

i spot my name on that board.. now i dont get to see that too often so i took out my phone for a quick picture haha

oh damn these guys are serious.. i wasnt expecting this at all

and on I go..
back ground Leah Paterson from StuntBums.com

shows women can do whatever they want to do, nothing is stopping them. Now all you women out there get up and ride!!!

I TOLD YOU.. helmet kay saath mazak nai hai..

Left nust around two, got to the petrol station just outside and the scoo started acting up,, so i took it apart and the spark plug is a bit dirtyy.. —

off i went and spotted this beauty.. pretty interesting from the inside too.. —

came across these guys

they were excited

really excited haha

this room was boiling hot

pushing the bed right below the AC and it made too much noise... so shoes went under the two legs and the other two in the air..

and the i have cold air blowing on my face..

easyyy

snored away!!!

r1, NashTrooper, DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 07 2012 02:25:05 PM

khanezz

4315 days old here

The manager at PTDC hotel

everyone scared me the most about this stretch.. Mastuj to Shandur.. well i could tell why just a few kilometers into it..

a kid was selling some fruits on the side of the road,, i told him ill pay him if he takes a picture for me.. and so he snapped and got paid

i would let her rest every few minutes, she was on her last breath..

the views were like nothing ive seen before..

just kept getting better

and then you find random people stopping just to help you out..

the last police check post before Shandur

FIRST VESPA IN SHANDUR... HERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!

A bunch of bikers from all over Pakistan were there..

on a buncha Honda 125cc street bikes.. and i was on the loner Vespa :P

meet Shakeel Bhai.. ill have to do a write up on this guy.. he fed me for 3 days i was in shandur.. ill sit and write soon.. amazing guy..

the next morning i woke up and the view from my tent

The tent city

snow covered peaks, lake, polo, vespa. life just cant get better..

LIFE!

DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 16 2012 07:24:31 PM

nomi700

4305 days old here
Total Posts: 86

Awesome trip

no likes.

Posted on July, 18 2012 11:17:26 PM

khanezz

4315 days old here

July 8-9-10 The Shandur Polo Festival (The highest Polo Ground in the world at 12,500 feet - 3,800 meters)

On the 7th of July, I set up camp in Shandur and woke up early the next day to the smell of fresh mountain air. I was out and about talking to my camping neighbors when I spotted a jeep climbing the same hill I suffered just the day before, coming towards me at a speed my Vespa only dreams of. The jeep was heading my way, not slowing down one bit. I knew it was aiming for me as it sped towards me faster and faster, and just a few feet short of running over me the driver braked and the jeep skidded to a stop. It was then that I made of the driver's face; my best friend Mujtaba was sitting behind the wheel with a huge smile on his face.

I knew two of my closest friends, Mujtaba and Ali, were planning to fly out to Chitral and then renting a jeep to Shandur. A big emphasis on the word "planning" for I was sure it wouldn't go through like 90% of all of their other plans. Plans are usually useless with these boys, and I know "spur of the moment" works best with them. Imagine my shock when I saw the two of them in the jeep in Shandur. They jumped out of the jeep and our excitement was heard from one end of the campground to the other. Wahhhh!!!!!..

Muj and ali somehow got a VIP army tent reserved for themselves and had space for another person. I was packed in seconds and settled in with friends. I'm sure I was the most excited one at the festival. I had my two best friends by my side, and we were hanging out on the rooftop of the world.

Shandur is situated right in the middle of the two great cities of Chitral and Gilgit. This land, Shandur, is disputed between the two cities; both claims the land as theirs. There is a strong rivalry between these two cities and they both send teams to Shandur every year for a match of polo. This is not a friendly game, but a war game. This game was not just about horse against horse or player against player, it's about city against city and Chitrali pride against Gilgiti pride. Tensions ran high, the pressure of success was overbearing, and the mood was perfectly set.

We all got ready and went off to experience the greatest, highest, toughest, the most dangerous, and above all the most spectacular polo match in the world.

Shadur polo was as raw as polo can ever be. There were no referees and no rules (you can do whatever the hell you want just as long as you get the ball through the posts). In regular polo matches, a player changed his horse every few minutes for top performance, but in Shandur, they weren't allowed to change horses at all. The players were expected to stay in the game until their horses died or the game ended. Simple, straight, CRAZY.

The boys and I made our way to the stands and found seats as the opening ceremony begun. There were different types of cultural music that was being played in the crowd accompanied by different cultural dances all around us. People brought their drums, flutes, and instruments I've never seen before.
Para-gliders hovered above the ground and landed perfectly in the center of the polo ground.

The huge lake next to the playing grounds and the mountains that enclosed us in this heavenly place completed the scenery.

For some reason, I felt so small standing in the middle of the crowd. It wasn't the fact that we were surrounded by big mountains nor was it the fact that the sky looked endless above me. It was the overall experience. Everything my eyes laid upon was more than imagination could come up with. There were horses galloping and fighting a war a few feet in front of me and crowds deafening my ears with cheers whenever a player struck the ball. I've never seen such hardcore supporters and such hardcore fans. Each time Gilgit would score, the Chitralis would look sullenly on as the Gilgit supporters start playing their music and performed their special Gilgiti dance. Then, the next second you'd see the Chitrali dance with Chitrali's music when their players scored as well. I swear, my story telling does this festival no justice. No amount of words will ever capture the spirit of this place, you have to go experience it yourself.

Shandur is one of a kind and when I say it's one of a kind and a must visit, for sure you know you won't be disappointed when you come (This is a hint for you all to start making your plans for next year's festival!)

For 3 days straight, we spent our waking hours watching and cheering on the players at the polo matches. I cheered Gilgit when they scored, and 2 minutes later cheered for Chitral when they scored. Then, the time came for the final match: Gilgit A-Team vs Chitral A-Team. Mujtaba, my friend, had brought us custom-made polo shirts from Lahore that had SHANDUR POLO FESTIVAL 2012 printed on the back. The shirts were red, so we had no choice; we were chitralis for the final. We got to the grounds well before the match started and were the coolest kids on the block with one of a kind shirts. Everyone wanted to know where we got the shirts from!

The match started and Chitral scored again and again. It was 4-0 with Chitral winning. The Gilgit crowd was dying. Suddenly, Gilgit scored and just as their lifeless crowd was coming back to life, Chitral scores. After a very intense battle, Chitral beat Gilgit in the final by 5 goals. Celebrations! The Gilgitis solemnly left the stands as the Chitralies danced away the victory. The police jumped in and circled the players as the crowd went nuts with excitement. I grabbed Mujtaba and we ran down the stands. Mujtaba looked at me questioningly as I pulled him along. I told him that we needed to exchange our shirts for the real polo game shirts. I wanted number 4's shirt because he was the man of the match and Muj said he wanted the captain's number 5 shirt. We dodged past the police and made our way towards the center where the players were. We both took off our shirts in front of a few thousand people and walked towards the players. We show them our awesome Shandur Polo 2012 shirts asked to trade with theirs. They made funny faces, hesitated, but then finally gave us their real polo shirts. I've never felt as happy as I had when I put that shirt on. It stank badly with Horse shit + horse sweat + man of the Match's sweat staining it... ohh, IT WAS GREAT! The shirt stayed on for the next two days.

Shandur polo festival at it's best!

Later that day, I spotted my sister. She came there with ATP (Adventure Travel Pakistan) to attend the festival as well. Her face mirrored my look of awe and nodded in agreement when I said that this was the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I was planning to head off to Gilgit from Shandur that same day, but we heard that there'd been a massive landslide 3 hours east of Shandur. There was no way a Vespa would be able to cross it by the end of the day so we decided to camp one more night. ATP was kind enough to let us 3 boys camp and eat with them. We met some very interesting people. Some, I won't mention, but Omer the Guitarist, Qasim and Shezad the managers, and Mian jee were definitely personalities that I won't forget. We ate a couple of fantastic meals, drank a lot of chai, and sat for 5-6 hours hanging out at a bonfire under the stars having the time of our lives. The sun was rising when I finally decided to head back to my tent to rest up for the long ride that following morning. I hope Gilgit is ready for me!

HB like this.

Posted on July, 19 2012 12:12:11 AM

khanezz

4315 days old here

Shandur Polo Festival, Pakistan

The amazing crowd

players arnt allowed to change horses, you ride your horse till it expires.. horses collapsed often but determination kept them going..

none of the horses were seriously injured. — at shandur, Pakistan.

The shirts

the exchange

Shakeel bhai again.. ill be posting a story on him

Brad Sander in the middle is one of the para gliders above Shandur.. he brought the polo ball and landed right in the middle of the ground to kick start the final match..

i dont know if this works,, i wanted to capture everyone sitting around the fire..

i threw the camera up in the air to get the camp area and it kinda worked.

Mujtaba and Ali
hahaha amazing 7 days with the boyss..

The Highest polo ground in the world and the scooter together.. last picture at Shandur and i was off to Gilgit..

HB like this.

Posted on July, 19 2012 12:39:06 AM

khanezz

4315 days old here

Left Shandur and it just kept getting prettier and prettier... We had been informed while we were enjoying the polo matches at Shandur that there had been a huge landslide on the way to Gilgit, and it would take at least 3 to 4 days to clear out the way...

We met a few people coming back to Shandur from the landslide area and they told us that the landslide had destroyed pretty much half a kilometer of tarmac and that there is no way they can clear it out in less than a week.. and We were told by almost every army officer looking after the situation that it wont be possible for a Vespa to cross till its all been cleared out..

well we knew if theres a will theres a way.. and so we kept rolling.....

well just 3 hours from shandur and we got to a complete blockade

the traffic was jammed for miles

we decided to go check out the situation and it seemed pretty bad at first

locals had already started the work but it was really slow

oh man,, this is worse than 'pretty bad'
was there ever a road here?? we were told a mountain had collapsed and it took the road with it and it would be a while till we can make it through..

the locals tried there best and came up with this brilliant idea.. they made this bridge, about 10-12 feet long over the fastest part of the flowly water

the water was really fast.. it was youre playing slip n slide..

we decided to go for it... Mujtaba here in the middle and myself decided to hire local help and these two young lads happily volunteered

the other end

the stuff goes first and then the Vespa.. because we aint going back...

the Vespa made it through, a bit bruised here and there.. but she made it.. i had the video camera on record the whole time while pushing her through so hopefully youll get to see some action soon

and on we went to get the best out of Gilgit...
stay tuned..

DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 19 2012 01:00:27 AM

AqeelBaig

4505 days old here
Total Posts: 3576

very nice.
No FULL STOP Pleaseeeeeee

no likes.

Posted on July, 19 2012 07:09:33 PM

DeeDee

4327 days old here
Total Posts: 20

now this is amazingly amazing. been there 1 day earlier to festival on 4x4 and i can well imagine how tough it would be for the ride and rider to reach there but again thumbs up to your spirit and believe me those DIY earlier in the trip were actually paid off..
waiting for vdos

HB like this.

Posted on July, 21 2012 12:30:39 AM

DeeDee

4327 days old here
Total Posts: 20

action says it all.... GOT BALLs

HB, khanezz like this.

Posted on July, 21 2012 12:39:03 AM

qwertypoiu

4335 days old here
Total Posts: 926

Mission accomplished as per FB page

no likes.

Posted on July, 21 2012 08:12:32 PM

khanezz

4315 days old here

Longest riding day on the Vespa. Started from Sust, touched Khunjrab Pass and came back to Sust, went on to husainy, then on to Karimabad, Hunza. 16 hours straight. Last 3 hours of those 16 were without front suspension/front shock.. it was horrible yet felt great.. first Vespa up Shandur and Khunjrab Pass.. YYYyyaaYYYy ADifferentAgenda - Pakistan Zindabad!!

3 years ago, this area was flooded by heavy rains and the whole village of Attabad was drowned.. and this Attabad Lake came into existence.. the lake is gorgeous however the fact hundreds were left homeless and hundreds lost their lives here, it was quite a touching experience going over to Gulmit and Husainy over this lake..

The water level dropped so drastically in the last couple months that the platform used to lower goods and vehicles in the boat is left useless now.. The only way to get to the boats now is through that rough drop. Imagine how the Vespa performed here haha.. i have it on video, cant wait to edit it an upload it...

i cant believe this.. my damn Vespa is on the boat

you gotta visit now before its to late.. its gorgeous.. you see rocky mountains, green ones, gold shiny ones, snow covered ones with huge waterfalls coming down.. its the most spectacular boat ride ever.. and just 200 rupees, about $2 for a return trip you just cant go wrong..

this was a hotel that was drowned in the floods, now the water level had dropped so you could see the ceiling and the top part of the windows.. A pretty sad reality.

PASSSSSUUUUUUUUUU

a glacier so close to the highway

khunjjjraaaaab

gorgeous?

Made it to Sust

Stayed a night at Sust and met two Bulgarians who saw me and said ADIFFERENTAGENDAA?????
we stayed up late talking about motorcycles of course

Boiko Terziev just sent me this picture he got from his camera.. It was wonderful hanging out with you Boiko and Simeon. Have fun in Pakistan

the road just kept getting worse

but the people on the way kept offering me lunch and tea

there was a landslide and rocks kept coming down on the road, i thought risking it for a picture would definitely be worth it

and then i ran out of fuel, thankfully i was carrying some extra

and then the top, made it to Khunjrab Pass on the little Vespa. i was the happiest guy that day..
16,200 feet

First Vespa at Khunjrab Pass 16,200 feet above sea level
now i can say, "i make the best Vespas in the world" :P

Pakistan Zindabad

the officer took me in the office for some hot tea and nimko..
stayed there for 20 minutes and then started coming down

the sun started to rise slowly

the road near Passu is brilliant.. i wish i had a more powerful bike..

Met Hassan on the boat on my way back to Karimabad,, he was coming from China, just got done with his MBBS degree, super cool guy..
he was the only one who helped me bring the Vespa up from the boat through the crazy climb where we had to basically lift up the heavy Vespa and hike up about 100 feet.. Thanks Hassan, ill have to pay a visit to North Waziristan soon inshAllah..

no likes.

Posted on July, 22 2012 12:40:47 AM