Forums > Travelogue. > ADifferentAgenda by Moin Khan
khanezz

4302 days old here
Total Posts: 15

Subject : ADifferentAgenda by Moin Khan
This is my profile and i am uploading it on Moin's behalf. i am his elder brother. just want to clear that coz most think that its moin who is uploading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJ4Qcf8YFo&feature=player_embedded

An amazing start to a wonderful day. A Big breakfast was followed by a talk session with the students at NUST university, Islamabad. Left the university at 2pm but wasn't able to leave Islamabad for another 2 hours as there were some problems with the scooter. Changed the spark plugs and drained out some of the mobil oil from the fuel tank because i had put too much. Oh how i love two-stroke machines
At the station i tried to gulp down as much water as possible. The high temperatures mean I need to be constantly hydrating myself. Stopping on the way is especially fun as I get to meet lots of interesting locals and such wonderful people!!

More updates tonight

Pakistan Zindabad!!

i spot my name on that board.. now i dont get to see that too often so i took out my phone for a quick picture haha

oh damn these guys are serious.. i wasnt expecting this at all

and on I go..
back ground Leah Paterson from StuntBums.com

shows women can do whatever they want to do, nothing is stopping them. Now all you women out there get up and ride!!!

I TOLD YOU.. helmet kay saath mazak nai hai..

Left nust around two, got to the petrol station just outside and the scoo started acting up,, so i took it apart and the spark plug is a bit dirtyy.. —

off i went and spotted this beauty.. pretty interesting from the inside too.. —

came across these guys

they were excited

really excited haha

this room was boiling hot

pushing the bed right below the AC and it made too much noise... so shoes went under the two legs and the other two in the air..

and the i have cold air blowing on my face..

easyyy

snored away!!!

r1, NashTrooper, DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 07 2012 02:25:05 PM

ifoo

4312 days old here
Total Posts: 161

Moin is a Rockstar and his ride is Gangster Keep updating , Please

no likes.

Posted on July, 07 2012 09:51:28 PM

khanezz

4302 days old here

It was another early morning wake up call for me. Just when I thought I was making use of the daytime hours, I found myself held back from the road because every single bolt on the Vespa was loose and needed to be tightened. The tedious checkup on the scooter paid off because she was booking at about 35-45kpmh on the road towards Timergara. I was pretty stoked about the speed this two-stroke machine was giving me, but the heat that I was caught in was killing me. My mouth would get so dry that swallowing was a chore to do. 30 seconds after gulping down a whole water bottle, my mouth would feel as if it was filled with cotton. I rode into Mardan with both my arm burnt to the tenth degree. It was the most painful day ever, but yet i was having the time of my life riding the scooter through towns whose names were all I've heard of since I was a kid.. I was at a steady 35-40kmph pace into town of Jalala when suddenly something went wrong.. i was going down hill when without any warning, the bike went into neutral without a shake or vibration. I thought maybe it missed a gear or something so I shifted down but still no power.. I thought the gear or clutch wire had snapped and had no worries since I had the tools and the spare wires to fix the problem myself. The scooter slowly came to a stop and I pushed her to the side, under some shade.. I checked the wires and everything seemed alright.. I stood there in confusion for about a minute before giving in and started asking around and found out there was a mechanic just 2 km from there. The only problem was.. Its all uphill. there was no way I could push her up. Just when i thought my luck had run out, I saw a rickshaw pass by.. I convinced the guy to just stick is leg out and push me up that hill to the mechanic, he hesitated for a moment, but then eventually helped tow the Vespa towards help. The mechanic was also convinced that the wires had an issue so we took apart the head light and the meter and then checked every single wire. Everything was perfect. I started the Vespa and put it in gear and saw that the engine was pulling up but the rear tire wasn't spinning. That's when someone pointed out the rear axle nut. the nut itself was spinning while the tire wasnt. It dawned on me that the drum broke.. Confused, the mechanic told me he's never seen a Vespa up here so he didnt know where we could find a part for her. It was then that someone said Pakistan bazar in Mardan.. The mechanic gave me his bike which was another 2-storker by the way.. I went on to track the brake drum, after picking up the parts my luck was tested again when the 2-stroker went out of fuel and the closest gas station was out of order.. Sat for a while and with a change of luck got gas and made our way to the mechanic.. He worked on my scooter for about 40 minutes and invited me to the back room where they had some good pathan stuff cooking up.. I sat with them for about 20 mins but then had to leave and so I asked them how much he wanted for the work he did, he replied, "Youre a guest in our province I cant be taking any money from you." I was shocked I asked them again n again but he continuously refused. So i got everyone some cold drinks and left, 10 mins into the ride and a couple feet before crashing into a truck I realized my vespa had no brakes.. I pulled into another mechanic for the second time that day to get the wires tightened, and the second time it was free of charge too.. I thanked them and went off.. 40 mins later the Vespa failed me the 3rd time that day, it died in the middle of the road with no mechanic in sight and no shade.. I laid down the Vespa opened up the engine case and pulled out a burnt spark plug. It was dirty and grimy, I tossed it away and put in a new one.. and off i went on.. after about an hour I was riding on a deadly bridge when i felt an odd wobble in my rear tire.. After pulling over to check whats up, I find its about to fall apart.. and so for the 4th time i laid her down to find 2 bolts were missing from the rear wheel and 2 just barely hanging on.. After tightening everything up, I rode up to a third mechanic got new bolts installed and rode off.. About 30 mins later I pulled in to a fuel station.. Now for the 5th time of the day the scooter failed me again.. It just wont start after i fueled it.. I pushed started it and went off.. The vespa was just as determined as i was to reach Timergara.. So around 6pm i finally took a resting break and had my first meal of the day.. i was so tired and hungry that i ordered a lot of food and i finished every last bite of it and when i asked for the bill the waiter came and said there was no bill again i was told i was guest in their province and that it would be imposable to let me pay.. This is too much i told them and if they didnt let me pay, i wont stop by in the future,, they charged me a measly 100 rupees and im sure the bill was a lot more than that.. the next two stops were at mechanics places too before the Vespa and i reached Timergara.. There were so many problems, so many ups and downs but every stop I made with every helping hand lent to me made the most impossible day the best day of my life.. Just meeting a few nice people changed everything.. It wasnt the Vespa breaking down that i think about its the thought of the locals and their hospitality that played over n over again in my head.. Such simple people who are very much content with the little they have and still are able to give so much.. Its amazing how bad days can change into the best days with just a smile.. Im in the scout mess right now, its hot, the AC is broken and im about to shower eat and doze off..

i took the mechanics bike Yamaha 100 another 2-stroker back to Mardan to get the brake drum

In Mardan got new brake drum from this guy

on our way back to the mechanic from Mardan ran out of fuel so sitting in shade while someone was getting some for us

After the bike was put back together i chilled with them for a bit and left just to see another mechanic

Stopped to have the first meal of the day around 6ish. After filling up myself all the way till my nose I asked for the bill and the waiter just wont charge me he said, "youre a guest and we cant take money from you, next time you come here then you can pay." he actually was pretty serious because i had to force him to take money.. Amazing people up here...

aviatormc, r1, DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 08 2012 12:50:01 PM

qwertypoiu

4322 days old here
Total Posts: 926

Keep us posted/

no likes.

Posted on July, 08 2012 06:12:56 PM

AqeelBaig

4492 days old here
Total Posts: 3576

Looks like an epic trip on a VESPA.
Is it 150 cc or more

khanezz like this.

Posted on July, 08 2012 11:02:46 PM

khanezz

4302 days old here

Its a 150 cc 1962 restored.

DeeDee like this.

Posted on July, 08 2012 11:09:21 PM

AqeelBaig

4492 days old here
Total Posts: 3576

That was a wonderful scooter of that era.
What I liked more of it was spare wheel, which people used to fix on front beside brake pedal & the rear space used for loading.
This Vespa has super power & one of my neighbor who has a workshop used to run it 12-14 hrs daily without stopping the engine

no likes.

Posted on July, 08 2012 11:16:16 PM

khanezz

4302 days old here

So much has happened in the past few days but I had neither phone nor internet connection so updating was completely out of the question. I let myself disappear from the world of technology and immersed myself into an ancient world experience - Polo in Shandur..

All that I have to say at this moment is that Shandur Top, the highest polo ground in the world reaching at 3,700 meters, in its 76th year of celebrating the festival has finally seen its first Vespa Scooter in 2012..

Impossibility is a world worth exploring. So many people doubted that the Vespa wouldnt reach Shandur, and I am happy this yellow machine was able to prove them wrong.

Doubt is not a gift to bestow to anyone, so give hope to those who are daring enough to do something you think is crazy.

ADifferentAgenda 'thass wassaappp' babyyy!!!

July 4 Timergara to Drosh

Every single car/truck passed me clapped, sang songs, cheered me up one way or the other.. Gorgeous people up here...

HB like this.

Posted on July, 11 2012 11:17:44 AM

khanezz

4302 days old here

After a very comfortable night, I left Dir Scout Mess at 8 o'clock sharp and reached Dir by lunchtime. The scooter behaved the whole way. She ran perfectly the whole way, giving me no issues whatsoever. In Dir, I stopped for lunch to appease my hungry stomach. The locals directed me to a hole-in-the-wall restaurant, assuring me with their recommendations that I'd be enjoying a great meal. Once I got there, I wasted no time and ordered maash ki daal and roti.. There's something about trips on Vespas and big meals. I stuffed myself till my eyes bulged out. The food tasted amazing here because I ate, and ate, and then ate some more. I was so exhausted that after eating I fell asleep on my motorcycle jacket right there on the bench. After the short nap, I woke up to the waiter smiling at me. He came and asked me if I had been to all the countries I had on the back of my jacket. When I said I had, he kept smiling. After some small talk, I told him I needed to leave soon if I wanted to make it to Chitral by the end of the day and asked him for the bill. I get the reply, "youre a guest here we cant take money from you" once again, I told him what I told the last guy - he needed to let me pay if he wanted me back here again. Without skipping a beat, he responded by telling me that I could pay for this meal when I come back the next time. After much insisting on my end, the waiter gave in and charged me 120 rupees for the meal. I tried to force 150 rupees into his hand but he refused it by saying that he'll accept the tip when i visit again.This is hospitality at its best. That hearty meal was preparation for the toughest road my Vespa would be taking me on that afternoon. Dir to Lowari tunnel, all up hill - it's a poor excuse for a road. I swear, the Vespa cried the whole way up, and I cried along with it. My back absorbed the shock for the both of us and it hurt all the way up. I rode through water flowing over rocks that were bigger than the wheels of the Vespa. It was pretty damn crazy! I have a bunch of videos that i can't wait to share once Im back in town.. Finally, after 4.5 hours I made it to the tunnel and oh man,THAT TUNNEL IS F****D UP!.. I don't even know how to begin putting this into words. The tunnel is 9.5 km long, pitch dark with not a single light, with road conditions that are worst than poor and scattered with potholes the size of my Vespa. Crazy does not even begin to describe this tunnel. I was about to hold my breath and brave the tunnel when an officer signaled me to stop. I pulled over and was told bluntly that I would not make it though the tunnel alone. Their truck was empty and offered me a lift that would take me through the tunnel in 45. I've never heard of traveling 9.5 km in 45 minutes on a 4x4.. are you serious?? Jumped on the truck and into the dark we went. That tunnel was something. Words cannot do it any justice, so I'll just have to upload the video. The truck threatened to break into pieces as the road shook it and everyone on it. There were water puddles that could drown my Vespa and water dripping from the ceiling as if rain clouds were trapped inside this tunnel. I felt more and more claustrophobic the further we drove into the tunnel and that feeling didnt subside until the light at the end of the tunnel was big enough to engulf the truck. I expressed my deepest gratitude and went on my merry way making it to Drosh scout mess where I spent the night. I spent the evening in the company of Capt. Ahmed, Capt. Hasham and Doctor saab. We had dinner together and then sat under the moonlight surrounded with high mountains, peaks covered in snow, sipping hot tea and sharing old stories late into the night. We didn't call it a night until it was hours into the early morning. Amazing company i must say, hopefully I'll see you guys again real soon. I was already half asleep as i made my way back to my room, and was snoring by the time my head touched the pillow.

DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 11 2012 11:40:39 AM

bk

4492 days old here
Total Posts: 16

Go on....

no likes.

Posted on July, 14 2012 07:04:05 PM

khanezz

4302 days old here

July 7 Mastuj to Shandur (The highest Polo Ground in the world at 12,500 feet - 3,800 meters)

I've been trying to chase time every day by waking up early to make up for slow pace the Vespa had decided upon. The alarm was set for 7am and I was out the door walking towards the Bazaar that was 25 minutes from the hotel that I had camped in front of the night prior. The handle bar bolt that I got in Booni was still a bit too loose for the Vespa, so I went in search for a bolt with a better fit. I ran into so many mechanics, but sadly not one of them had any experience with a Vespa. One had even thought that the scooter was a 2012 model.

After visiting all of the mechanics with no luck, I spotted a small little hut that looked like a junk yard. It was a dark, creepy looking hut, with no sign-board on top. I inched closer and closer to take a look, and when I was a few meters away a smell trailed from the open door toward me so strong it was as if a gust of dirty wind just blew in my face. As I got closer, a very old man stepped outside with his back towards me. He with white frazzled hair, dressed in shalwar kameez that's permanently stained old, and a turban on his head so big that it covered half of his face. When he saw me walking to him he stood still then, suddenly in a hurry, he uncovered his face revealed the big smile he had on his face. He invited me inside the little shop that was more organized than one would expect. There were shelves after shelves and boxes after boxes of all different kinds of things. I handed him the broken bolt and he started his search.

We chit chatted while he looked for the bolts and I asked him what he sold in his store (as it looked quited scary from the exterior). He told me that he was a retired wood cutter that was restless at home so he opened this shop selling all sorts of stuff from used motorcycle parts to used tractor/truck parts to pass the time. The older a person is, the more interesting they are. I spoke to him for about 20 mins, before I asked to borrow some of his tools and took half a dozen different types of bolts to go try on the Vespa.

The scoo's handle bar was fixed like new, and I packed and drove back to the shop. The old man came back out and greeted me with a smile again. I gave him the tools back and reached for my wallet when he said, "I can't take money from you, you're a guest in my city." I gave him a thankful smile, smuggled some in his pocket, and rode on. It was then when it finally hit me. I was actually heading to Shandur, the home of the highest polo ground in the world. Oh my God, the feeling is indescribable. The Vespa seemed high in spirits, and I had euphoria washed all over me. The feeling of heading to Shandur was crazy. It was as if a climber had dreamed of climbing the hardest mountain, and was now just a few feet away from the K2 Summit. I was overwhelmed with the thought that the next stop I make would be Shandur, and that the next time I sleep would be in shandur. Overyjoyed is an understatement.

The locals told me that Shandur was 2 hours away travelling by car so I thought on the Vespa it'd take about 3.... most likely 4. Well... it took me 7 hours. The road to shandur was not fun. It was a death trap that I willingly walked into. There were streams after streams that just flowed over the road leaving me with no choice but to cross shin-deep waters at almost every turn. The poor Vespa's baby engine drowned everytime, and I prayed it held its breath long enough to reach the other side.

When we were in our 3rd hour of the ride, my scooter decided that the climb was too steep for her to bare. Her pace was slower than a turtle's and she moaned with every feet gained.. I ran next to her, pushing her along. Looking at my poor Vespa, I realized the full load I was making her carry. I had to get rid of the camping gear somehow. It was too heavy and it'll kill the Vespa if she had to carry that with us to the top. I spotted a golden SUV with 4-5 guys in it, honked at them, waved, and they pulled over. I shook hands with everyone and asked if they were going to shandur polo fest. I asked them When they nodded, if they would carry one of my bags with them and without hesitation they took my heavy load and said they'd meet me at the top. As the last few things were being handed over, the guys asked me where I was coming from. I told them I started in Lahore 7 days ago on the 1st of July. The guy at the back seat suddenly said, "tum lahore say aya is scooter pay?? Lahori to saray pagal hotay hain, kuch maheenay pehlay aik pagal Amreeka say Lahore aya hai motorcycle pay." (You came on this scooter? Lahories are crazy people! A few months ago a lahori came on a motorcycle from America).. and everyone in the car chuckled. Little did they know who they were talking to HAHA! I was laughing as well.

These roads never seem to get better into my rides, but always getting worse. Rocks littered the road and streams flooded it. In some parts, the fast flowing water would drift the scooter. It was 7 hours of the craziest and hardest road and just when I felt like passing out, I found myself in front of a phone's camera lens with a police man clicking away on the other side. He shouted and a few more came out from a tent. No one said a word. One came and tried to sit on the back of the scooter and others had their phones out still snapping away. I'm in my helmet thinking ..what the hell is going on!?!? I finally broke the silence and interrupted their paparazzi-like frenzyi with a question. "How far away is Shandur?" To which they replied, "15 minutes." Wwhhhaaaaattttttttt!!!!!!!!!

I shook hands with them and went on my way. Any hopes of better roads conditions was quickly trampled upon. I was face to face with the steepest of climbs. I paused for a second, and put the Vespa in first gear. Full throttle only lasted halfway up. The scooter would start up for a few seconds and then die, and then start, and then die. The last half of the climb, I had to run next to the Vespa with encouraging pushes all the way to the top. I was 12,500 feet above sea level standing in front of a huge city that was just built for a week. There were thousands of tents set up, leaving no exposed ground visible. The Mountains that surrounded us were covered in snow, the sun was shining brightly, and beside the camping ground there was a huge lake with the polo ground next to it. It was the most magical scene I had ever laid my eyes upon. This has to be the greatest festival in the world. Its a magnificent event that everyone must must MUST attend at least once in their life time.

I made my way into the middle of the chaos. I dove in between the tents, market, polo ground, army, security, people that were eating and partying, took off my helmet, gave a guy my camera, and posed with my hands up high. He captured a photo with the polo ground right behind me and the Vespa in front of me.
Smiling widely I pat my yellow scooter and told her that she's the first of her kind up here. She is a special one indeed.

DeeDee, HB like this.

Posted on July, 16 2012 07:11:58 PM